Wednesday, July 10, 2013

I have a Touch of Biophilia

My fix this week - short grass meadow studded with Asclepias on Martha's Vineyard

I don’t think of myself as a hypochondriac but I do suffer from Felco Separation Anxiety and I think I have a touch of Biophilia too.


bi·o·phil·i·a – n
(Psychology) an innate love for the natural world, supposed to be felt universally by humankind

Harvard University myrmecologist and conservationist E.O. Wilson put forth the hypothesis that humans are hard-wired to need connection with nature and other forms of life. More and more studies are showing us the benefits of nature such as its ability to reduce stress, to aid recovery from illness, to enhance cognitive skills and academic performance, to aid in moderating the effects of ADHD, autism and other child illnesses. And, I would venture a guess that that it cures Nature Deficit Disorder in record time.

Our family lives have become so “busy” that we often forget to take time to smell the roses and I’m no different than anyone else. Let’s make a pledge that we make an effort to get out into nature this summer whether it’s a park or your own back yard and reconnect. I hope it’s contagious!

We cannot always build the future for our youth, but we can build our youth for the future.
  ~Franklin Delano Roosevelt~

Bringing Life to Your Garden
Have fun out there,
Peggy Anne

No comments:

Post a Comment