Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Got Milkweed!

Carrie from North Creek at our American Beauties / North Creek Booth in Ohio

I’ve just returned from a trip to Ohio to attend and exhibit at the OFA Short Course a trade show for Horticulture Professionals. I always enjoy going to see what’s new and catch up with old friends. As expected the Echinacea are even wilder than last year and pot colors are vibrant and strong, a trend blowing over from Europe I believe. My favorite part is getting to talk with scores of garden center owners and employees. They are my eyes and ears at the retail level and keep me in touch with what consumers want. Business was brisk at the American Beauties Native Plants booth as more and more garden centers are seeing an increased demand for native plants.
 

Ben from Gateway was there too attending classes and checking out the latest trends
We shared our booth space with our good friends from North Creek Nurseries. They were honored at the Greenhouse Growers award ceremony as one of three finalists (in the whole country!) for Operation of the Year. Steve Castorani is the President of North Creek Nurseries, owns Gateway Garden Center with his wife Peggy and is co-owner of American Beauties. Congratulations to Steve and all the staff at North Creek!


Steve, Carrie and Kevin - finalists for the Operation of the Year Award!
 Maybe the best part of going away is coming home. It felt good to sleep in my own bed and to walk around the garden this morning with my cup of coffee. I feel recharged and fortunate to work in the horticulture industry. I also reaffirmed my faith in human beings. There are so many people out there doing the right thing for our environment and sharing those ideas with others. One lady walked by and called out “Got Milkweed!” I think we should make that into a t-shirt.

Bringing Life to your Garden
Have fun out there!
Peggy Anne

1 comment:

  1. Oxygen is a necessity for every living thing and that comes from plants. Planting more of them is the need of the hour. Nice post!

    ReplyDelete