Friday, August 29, 2014

Fairy Tales and Gardening Trends


I just returned from the Independent Garden Center trade show in Chicago. I went to visit our American Beauties licensed growers and to check out the latest trends. I recall last year the colors of pots and other products were very “in your face” but the pallets of colors seem to be softening somewhat this year. There is also a definite trend toward Asian design. I can certainly see the connection between the implied serenity of the artwork and the spirituality of gardening for many people.


What really jumped out at me this year were fairy gardens. Now, I grew up on fairy tales and I like fairies as much as the next guy but I always thought fairy gardening was kind of silly. Since it was impossible to ignore them, I started to take a closer look at he displays. Many were incredibly intricate; some even had trains running through them. The ones with vegetable gardens in them won me over. I probably won't build one in my yard but I will encourage the children in my life to give it a try.


We’re always talking about how to reach the next generation in this business so why not start kids off young. With a good dose of fresh air and imagination required, fairy gardening might just be what the doctor ordered to combat nature-deficit disorder.

Bringing life to your garden!


Have fun out there!  
Peggy Anne

Note to Self - Market Viola walterii 'Silver Gem' to the wee folk!











No comments:

Post a Comment